- Government assures that it will ensure minimum inconvenience to common man due to withdrawal of high denomination notes; decision aims at making India a cashless economy, says Finance Minister.
- People from various sections of society welcome the step.
- Congress hails the objective, but questions rationale behind introduction of 2000 rupee notes.
- Banks to remain open this Saturday and Sunday.
- Two militants killed in an encounter with security forces in Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Donald Trump of Republican party becomes 45th President of United States beating Democrat Hillary Clinton; four people of Indian origin elected to the US congress for the first time.
- Direct tax collections rise over 10 per cent in the first 7 months of current financial year.
- Sensex drops 339 points, gold surges 900 rupees to a three-year high.