- Supreme Court says Aadhaar card cannot be made mandatory by government for extending benefits of welfare schemes to people.
- The Apex Court asks Centre to consider alternates to pellet guns to disperse mobs in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Parliament passes the Mental Healthcare Bill, 2016; The bill seeks to provide mental healthcare and services to persons with mental illness.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley tables GST Bills in the Lok Sabha.
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Venkaiah Naidu launches online film certification system of CBFC in New Delhi; Says it will facilitate Prime Minister’s vision of Ease of Doing Business and Digital India.
- Jharkhand government decides to close all illegal slaughter houses within next 72 hours.
- Rupee strengthens 37 paise against the dollar, to a 17 month high; But Sensex slips 184 points.
- And in Cricket: India need 87 runs more to win the Dharamsala Test against Australia and clinch the series 2-1.